Kirklees Climate Commission - Leading Climate Action in Our Community
Who We Are: Kirklees Climate Commission, is an independent advocate dedicated to driving fair, innovative, and effective climate change action within the Kirklees district.
We are committed to:
- Communicating the urgency of the climate challenge and promoting local, place-based mitigation efforts.
- Establishing ourselves as a trusted, independent authority, offering advice and services essential for climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Identifying and addressing gaps in the journey to net zero, initiating key projects to mitigate these challenges.
- Independently monitoring and benchmarking Kirklees' progress towards net zero.
- Catalysing new initiatives and partnering with organisations to facilitate equitable and effective climate action.
- Ensuring our practices embody fairness, inclusion, and diversity.
Our Goals and Objectives:
- Engage with the community to raise awareness of the climate crisis and the Commission's efforts.
- Collaborate with local authorities to monitor and support the achievement of climate goals.
- Empower the community through activities, advocacy, and projects aimed at reaching net zero.
- Conduct research and gap analysis, act as a unifying force, and initiate small-scale projects to demonstrate the impact of larger initiatives.
Our Definition of Community:
- We encompass all stakeholders within, or impacting, the Kirklees district, working together towards a sustainable future.
Although KCC will advocate climate action, it is not intended to be a platform for lobbying, campaigning, marketing, or PR.
It will work through constructive, collaborative engagement and debate and wherever possible through consensus-based decision-making.
The main Commission meets quarterly, whilst some panels and working groups are being established to support its activities and promote engagement across the area.